Sunday, June 10, 2012

Why I admire my father...

  
     Another Father's Day rolls around, without my dad. Ours was a very traditional family, with my mother making sure my father was the center. We loved him, feared him, admired him and stood in awe of him.
     My dad was a WWII veteran, a son, brother, uncle, farmer, inventor, an entrepreneur, a church member, loving husband and so much more, all wrapped into one word, father. A strict disciplinarian, he set high expectations for the four of us and taught us the meaning of working for our goals and dreams. We followed firm rules, worked hard and played together. I will always be grateful for my parents and all they taught us.
     I consider myself very fortunate to have a husband who is a great father, too. A veteran like my dad, which I mention because I think it affects their outlook on discipline, my husband's generation has fewer rough edges than my dad's.
     I can't write a Father's Day post without saying how lucky our sons were to have their father. He's loving, caring, dedicated to his family and a role model I'm proud to call husband.
     There's one more father I want to mention. Our oldest son, father of our precious new grandson. In our son, I see all the loving qualities of his father. Any father of a growing child faces challenges, but from his actions so far, we're certain our son will make the right decisions.
     So...with a tear in my eye and a heart full of love, I remember my dad and wish my husband and son a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment